Football NewsThursday 1st September 2016

Premier League: Everton owner gives VERY dodgy excuse for failure of Sissoko deal

Premier League: Everton owner gives VERY dodgy excuse for failure of Sissoko deal

Everton chairman Farhad Moshiri has insisted that the club pulled out of a deadline day move for Moussa Sissoko, despite reports that the Frenchman had turned the club down to move to Tottenham instead. 

The 27-year-old made a £30m move to the north London side late on Wednesday night, Spurs just sneaking the deal in before the 11pm transfer deadline, and Moshiri told Sky Sports' Jim White that Mauricio Pochettino's side ended up signing Sissoko unopposed.

He said: "Sissoko is a great player. But when I bought into Everton, I made it clear I was proud to join a family. And we don't turn our backs on our own. Keeping James McCarthy was a priority and ultimately we could not proceed with a deal that would jeopardise his place at Everton. We wish Sissoko the best."

McCarthy had been linked with a late move away from Goodison to Crystal Palace, but ended up staying put as the Toffees did precious little business on deadline day. 

Reports on Wednesday evening suggested that Everton had a private jet prepared to take Sissoko from London to Merseyside for a last-minute medical, but the Frenchman turned his phone off and refused to take calls from the Toffees after Spurs met Newcastle's £30m demands late in the day.

Speaking after signing, he said: "I spoke with Hugo Lloris. He told me this club is amazing and everything is here for me to do well, play some good games and fight with the best teams in EnglandThey did well last season, they have a great manager and a good team. It's simple."


For more from Chris when he's not writing on 90min, follow him on Twitter at @ThatChris1209


Comment